Sunday, May 2, 2010

Facebook: Going Down the Drain?

In light of Tim's post below about Facebook's new changes, etc. I began to give more thought to our favorite website's current status.
It really appears to me at least, that it's becoming over commercialized, and this is ridiculous.
Making everything fan pages? Including our personal information? I'm already aware that as a business, Facebook has to market each of us, individually, as a profitable item (which is already creepy), but making the content of ourselves another way for corporates to attract money crosses the line in my mind. What will they do next?
And as I commented on Tim's post, Facebook now works with Bing's search engine. Bing search results will appear in addition to whatever else does on Facebook's search. All of this really boggles my mind.
Facebook saw what happened to MySpace after it was taken over by FOX. Too much stuff going on chases users away. Zuckerberg and his Harvard buddies should know better. I think they're definitely going in the wrong direction. They should remember, now more than ever, that their simplicity is what made their site so appealing.
Perhaps it really is true that no social media can last forever. Because to be honest, if Facebook keeps up its consistent changes, new policies, etc. then I don't know how much longer it will be around. It's definitely driving me crazy already. It's likely that something better and simpler will come along and we'll jump on the bandwagon for that and forget Facebook forever.

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. It appears to me that while Facebook's popularity continued to grow, the creators felt they had to keep up with demand and provide more incentives for members to maintain their accounts and tell their friends. It is true that we pride ourselves of option and choice. However, the more choices we are given the harder it is to distinguish which to choose. Facebook's simplicity contributed to it's growth and it's constant changes may in fact lead to it's demise. Oh, the irony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. Facebook has completely altered its goal it seems like and everything they are doing is making matters a little worse. Especially now all these groups or "Likes" that you must "like" before you can see the content.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen a number of folks on Twitter talking about deleting accounts on Facebook, and as someone put it, Facebook is giving its customers what they want, the only thing is that its customers are the advertisers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everything! If I had over 20 hands, I could count all of my friends who are completely unhappy with Facebook's changes and are already looking into a new networking site...facebook is killing themselves, literally!

    ReplyDelete